Calgary Fetal Alcohol Network (CFAN) is a registered charity that takes action to encourage a healthy societal response to the issue of FASD.
Our goals are to reduce the incidence of FASD and to support a high quality of life for the individuals and families affected.
Now Hiring: FASD Prevention Faciltator - Part-Time Contract
CFAN is seeking a high-functioning professional for a one-year 30 hour/week contract position to lead our health promotion and FASD prevention efforts in Calgary and area. This role includes the delivery of an existing provincial campaign (The Prevention Conversation) and coordination of community development initiatives to engage with and support health/social service providers, community-based organizations, and families/caregivers impacted by prenatal alcohol use. The ideal candidate will be creative, flexible, and able to work within a small, high-impact staff team. CFAN’s Prevention Facilitator will have an entrepreneurial spirit and a talent for building relationships, communicating with diverse audiences, and working independently within a team.
An Alberta Class 5 license and access to a reliable vehicle is required, as is a flexible work schedule (some evening/weekend hours are expected).
Summary of duties:
Program delivery: The Prevention Conversation
- Establish new relationships and strengthen existing relationships within the health and social servicesectors to build opportunities for FASD prevention
- Use existing presentation materials to deliver workshops and presentations on FASD prevention to health and social service professionals
- Work with post-secondary institutions to integrate FASD prevention into existing curricula
- Represent CFAN in local collaborative efforts around FASD prevention, women and alcohol use, prenatal health, and/or preconception health
- Strengthen opportunities to build FASD prevention capacity in partnership with local communities
- Liaise with provincial stakeholders in FASD prevention and support ongoing efforts to implement and evaluate The Prevention Conversation across Alberta
- Conduct administrative tasks related to The Prevention Conversation, including managing contacts, tracking workshops/presentations, entering survey data, and reflecting on practice
- Network engagement and support
- Work with the CFAN Executive Director and team to facilitate meetings, professional development opportunities, and other supports for FASD service providers in Calgary
- Support the growth of the CFAN’s Family Advisory committee as required
- Chair meetings of the CFAN Education Working Group as required
- Assist the FASD Trainer with ‘FASD 101’ and ‘FASD Best Practices’ training when required
- Support the CFAN staff team in gathering and reviewing best practice research, writing grant applications and reports, and preparing policy briefs
- Degree or diploma in health promotion, community development, and/or social services
- Experience in building community capacity and strengthening community action
- Training and experience in FASD and/or working with marginalized communities
- Training and experience in motivational interviewing is an asset
- Excellent presentation, facilitation, and public speaking skills
- Familiarity with and sensitivity to issues related to high risk populations, trauma, and alcohol abuse
- Ability to speak about FASD prevention in a respectful, non-judgmental way
- Understanding of and appreciation for Aboriginal culture, history, and current issues
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, organizational abilities, and problem solving
- Strong written communication skills; experience in grant writing and policy/advocacy an asset
- Alberta Class 5 License and access to a reliable vehicle
For consideration, send resume and cover letter to Jamilah, at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will be posted until a suitable candidate is found, only those considered will be contacted. No calls please.